Here’s some of what’s been going on lately in our family. I will try to be brief. Let’s do it bullet-point style!
- Wyatt: He is doing awesome in school! We recently had a parent/teacher conference where he displayed all that he had learned and what he was going to begin learning soon. His teacher, Mrs. Walker, was very impressed with his intellect and experience. Not so impressed with his behavior and listening “skills”. We feel the same way, as does his daycare provider, Sheryl. We’ve really been struggling with how to effectively discipline him. We’ve really gone a lot of different directions from stripping out his whole room of toys and posters, maps, everything. We’ve done the time-out thing ad-nauseam. We’ve done open handed spanking on his rear. We’ve yelled out our lungs. We’ve had many discussions with him on his behavior and how his choices affect others, not just him. We’ve even discussed spanking with a belt. You see the desperation we feel? This past Sunday was our church’s Primary Program. Primary is like Sunday School for kids under 12. We had rehearsal on Saturday and were very frustrated with his fidgeting and goofing off. He was really one of the only kids in any age group (even younger) that was acting out like this. We had a stern conversation with him saying that if he repeated this behavior on Sunday, there would be very dire consequences. He was a little better on Sunday, but still a little brat. Needless to say he was punished quite harshly. We’ll see what this new strategy of harsher punishments will do. (No, not with a belt!)
- Family: We’ve restarted our nightly Scripture study. It kind of vanished there for awhile. We are hoping this will increase the love and peace that resides in our home. We also hope Wyatt will feel it’s calming influence as well as see his parents being good examples of spirituality. We’ve also been going to the gym every other day or so. We’ve been doing some good walking on the treadmill and playing racquetball. Wyatt enjoys hanging at the onsite daycare facility with other kids, toys and movies. We’ve got the house decorated for Halloween. Next up is getting the Christmas decorations up and ready. We are also in the early stages of planning a family trip to Orlando for a Disney World vacation. We will finally use our time-share since we’ve already paid for it. It should be a lot of fun!
- Tim: I’m still trying to work out whether I should start school again. It seems like a no-brainer with free tuition, but it’s not so simple. I also am feeling the itch to move again. I love Utah and it’s beauty. There are so many great things to do and see here. I even enjoy the weather. I’ve begun to look for jobs in Washington and Oregon. I would need to have something already lined up before we actually move. This is perplexing and is taking a lot of my prayer time lately.
- Rachel: Still doing great at her job at BYU. However un-challenging the job may be, it is still a job. She’s recently started donating her plasma. Add the job, the plasma and her answering many questions on Cha Cha, she is doing what she can to help augment our income. I’m so grateful for her willingness to be creative financially. I love her so much!
- Other: This Friday is Halloween and then less than a week later is the US Presidential Election. For Halloween, I’m working on another edition of The Big Halloween Broadcast on the New KXRT. Scary stories, your call-ins, and at 8pm Mountain Time, the original broadcast of Orson Welles’ The War of the Worlds. Click HERE for more info! With the Presidential Election, there is a Facebook group and blog called Nationwide Fast Day. It is a non-denominational group that is planning a fast for this coming Sunday to pray and fast that the Election is directed by God (whoever that may be in your case). Click HERE for more info.
Everyone, please have a safe and fun Halloween! Study up on these candidates. This Election has been labeled The Election Of Our Time.